February 19, 2013

Repost: Cajun Chicken Pasta

Throwback to one of my favorite dishes to make! I first made this after my husband and I went to a Chili's restaurant a few years ago. The dish was so yummy I wanted to make it myself, so I searched the internet and found a copycat recipe. It didn't turn out like what I'd had at Chili's, it was so much better! My husband absolutely loved it, which was a surprise as he claims he hates "cream sauces". So after making it a few times I got comfortable with what spices I used and how much I put in. After a few years of making it, I finally have it down to how we like it. My husband gets excited when I tell him it's what's for dinner. Play around with the spices, we like it spicy but you may not. It's not a healthy meal at all, but it's definitely a comfort food for us.


What you'll need:
1 box of rigatoni
Cajun seasoning (I use McCormick)
Black and red pepper (aka Hot Shot)
Garlic powder
Margarine or butter
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Preparation:
1. Cut chicken into small cubes.
2. Place chicken in plastic container with lid or a large Ziploc bag.
3. Put cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and black/red pepper in with chicken (this is where you decide if you want it more or less spicy), shake to coat evenly.
4. Turn burner on to medium and put a spoonful of margarine in skillet.
5. After margarine has melted add chicken and cook til no longer pink inside. Set aside.
6. Start cooking pasta according to package directions.
7. Once your pasta is cooking, add heavy whipping cream to medium saucepan (put burner on medium).
8. Add cajun seasoning, black/red pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt to whipping cream. Stir to combine.
9. Stir sauce frequently so it doesn't burn, once it starts to boil keep stirring and let boil for two minutes before removing from heat.
10. Drain pasta when done and put back in big pot. Add chicken, then sauce, and mix well. Let sit for a few minutes to let sauce thicken up, then serve with garlic bread!

I hope my directions aren't difficult to follow, sometimes it's hard to put into words when I have to think back and look at how I make it lol I hope you enjoy this dish. I didn't give any quantities for the spices because it really turns into how you want it to taste. But I promise you this is a super yummy dish, you'll be craving it before long!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Negative comments will not be published. If you have a differing opinion, there's a way to express it tactfully. If you can't do that, don't comment. Thank you :)