March 27, 2013

Nutella Swirl Pound Cake

Goodness, I've certainly taken a break from just about everything in life lately. I started feeling poorly around the beginning of March, since we just moved to Virginia the husband and I hadn't gotten around to switching our Tricare from West to North so I was unable to see a doctor. I was in pain and discomfort for about 3 weeks before I finally got to see a doctor. All I needed were some antibiotics and I'm back to normal. However, I'm still finding it difficult to get into some sort of routine to balance housework, my businesses, my support page, and this blog. I want to do more in each aspect of my life but it's a lot to handle, I'm hoping I get the hang of it eventually but until then, I'll just wing it and look forward to June: my 30th birthday is coming up and as of June 22nd, my husband will have FINALLY spent a whole year at home! That's a huge deal, we haven't spent an entire year together since we started dating. It's always been interrupted by deployments, but with him being on Presidential support duty for a couple years I get the privilege of him coming home every night. In this life that's rare, and you quickly learn to be grateful for it.

I found out a few days ago that my husband likes pound cake. Which completely threw me for a loop, the guy eats like a picky 2 year old so I'm always surprised when he actually volunteers to say he likes something other than pizza or tacos. Being a good cook {apparently...according to him anyway} I've opened him up to many things he would have never tried before. And right after I found out he liked pound cake, I saw this beautiful recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction and knew I had to try it. I love Nutella and I love pound cake,  why wouldn't I try it? I don't have much baking experience, all I do is follow recipes and I'm happy if they turn out well.

**Note: my Nutella didn't really "swirl" but that's probably my own fault for not putting enough batter between Nutella layers. I do not care, the cake tastes delicious and turned out amazing! Thank you Sally!**



Nutella Swirl Pound Cake
**For any suggestions or tips, check out the original recipe here at Sally's Baking Addiction**

What you'll need:
4 large eggs, at room temperature preferred
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 and 1/3 cup Nutella (or one 13 oz jar)

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

2. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Set aside. In another medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together. Set that aside as well.

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a handheld mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. With the mixer running on low speed, add the egg/vanilla mixture and continue to beat until smooth and light in color. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients until just combined. The batter is very thick and very sticky. Do not overmix the batter.

4. Spread 1/3 of the batter into prepared loaf pan. Spread half of the Nutella on top. Repeat with another 1/3 of the batter and the rest of the Nutella. Top with remaining batter. No Nutella should peek through, unless it is on the sides.

5. Bake the pound cake for 50-60 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil after 25 minutes to avoid the top and sides from browning too much. Slight browning is OK. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out free of cake crumbs. **My cake was perfect after 65 minutes**

6. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Cake stays soft, moist, and fresh stored at room temperature for up to 6 days.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, it looks wonderful! Definitely need a lot of batter between nutella layers. I would still eat... like this entire loaf! I love Nutella. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has already demolished half of it! He snuck out of the house this morning for work with 2 whole slices apparently. I'll definitely be making this one again!

    ReplyDelete

Negative comments will not be published. If you have a differing opinion, there's a way to express it tactfully. If you can't do that, don't comment. Thank you :)